The Strand Gate, built c.1300. Winchelsea, East Sussex, UK, 5/1/2020
Words, embossed on a blue metal plaque, as below:
“The Strand Gate is one of three surviving medieval gates of Winchelsea. Built c.1300, shortly after the building of New Winchelsea, it stands at the top of Strand Hill flouring a steep climb from the former harbour at the bottom.
In its day the harbour was bustling with commercial and military shipping bringing goods to the important trading port of Winchelsea and providing troop transport to the king’s soldiers.
When built, it was a third higher than it is today and incorporated two portcullises. There was a porter’s lodge inside the north-eastern tower and a room with portcullis winding gear on the first floor.
As with other medieval buildings, the Strand Gate would have been rendered white and would have looked a magnificent sight from the sea.
The Strand Gate is owner and maintained by the Corporation of Winchelsea.
The Corporation acknowledges the support of and grant from English Heritage in 2008 towards the refurbishment works.”
Location: Winchelsea, East Sussex, UK
Photographer: Richard Keith Wolff